Monday, December 3, 2012

The Right Choice

Lately, there's a TV commercial about mini chocolate chip cookies that appears around 15 to 20 seconds. Not the cheerful little animated cookies that yell "Mini yeah...mini yeah...mini Chips AHOY!" that attract me, but the size of the cookies has been minimized to only one-inch big! Just one toss and you'll be able to fill your mouth with two or three of it. It seems nice but I still prefer the big (normal) size one, around 4 or 5 centimeters. It always feels good to grab one side of the cookie and dip the other into a glass of milk. Yummy!

Last week, watching that commercial made me think of baking matter. Why don't try to make it myself? Then I went to find my mum for a recipe. Well, she does have a choco chip cookie recipe which she got years ago but she never tried it before so we were not sure whether that old recipe would work. However, from the back of the chocolate chip carton box, we found another slightly different cookie recipe. My mum said in baking, even a small difference in ingredients may influence the entire result. That moment we were quite confused with choosing the one that might work well. Since the carton box recipe looks more convincing, eventually we decided to use that. 

Every time my mum's doing her cooking experiment, usually I only help her with simple things like washing dirty dishes but that time I got involved more in the process of making my favorite cookies. She told me to weigh sugar, flour, butter, etc. while she handled the baking part. It was fun and I learned a lot from her. What made me happier was that the result tasted sooo good! It was crunchy on the outside, but the inner part was soft and tender. These are the photos! ^^ Below them you'll find the recipe that I translated for you.



*Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe*

Ingredients:
130 grams Palm/brown sugar
160 grams Granulated white sugar
170 grams Margarine
1/2 tablespoon Butter
70 grams Egg
45 grams Water
3 grams Baking Soda
370 grams Multi-purpose flour (In Indonesia, we have Kunci Biru brand)
6 grams Salt
300 grams Chocolate chips (or as desired)

Method:
Preheat the oven to 160 Celcius. Blend together margarine, butter, brown and white sugar for 5 minutes. Afterwards, add the egg and water. Stir well till the mixture is smooth. Then pour in the flour, baking soda, and salt. When stirring, add the chocolate chips into the dough and make sure they are evenly spread. Use a tablespoon to scoop and shape the cookie. Place the cookie on a lightly-greased baking sheet. Give a little space between each cookies and bake for 15 or 20 minutes. After cooling them, store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment