Sunday, March 18, 2012

Feng Gan – Chinese Fried Meatball with Minced Liver and Preserved Yolk


Hello bloggers!
When I was thinking of the next stuff for this blog update, an inspirational program was on TV. It was a documentary about historical progress of cooking methods in China. That was an interesting one! An idea appeared in my mind out of the blue! I would post about Oriental food! I remembered I had taken some pictures of a delicious food and I knew that would be a good material to share with you!
Do you like Chinese food? Haha, I love it! It is one of the foods which exists in many countries. You can easily find Chinese restaurant in countries where there are Chinese people! The taste of Chinese food in each countries have been suited to the taste buds of local people and due to this, Chinese food has developed into a wide variety of styles!
This time let me share about a food that my mother will usually make for the feast on Chinese New Year’s Eve. Its name is Feng Gan () or Phoenix’s Liver, in English. Cool huh?
Feng Gan can be steamed or fried. It is a mixture of minced pork and shrimp, pig’s liver, mushroom, and garlic, with a preserved duck egg yolk in the centre (after soaked in brine for a particular time, the yolk becomes round and firm). The uniqueness of this delicious meatball is not only the filling but it also lies in its wrapper. All the mixed ingredients are wrapped with pig’s abdomen membrane. Some people who cannot get it may substitute it with dried bean curd/tofu skin.  
It is a delicious food, indeed. Just try one if you visit Chinese restaurant or simply make it at home! These are the pictures that I’d taken last month. Look at how they look like!  

Feng Gan - Phoenix's Liver

肝 - Phoenix's Liver
They look yummy, don't they? Well, if you need the recipe, you can e-mail me or simply write on comment form! 

See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment